Finding outdoor activities that are suitable for all age groups can be difficult. There are many fun outdoor activities that you can engage in alone or with your family. In this article, we are going to focus on 4 of these awesome outdoor activities. These 4 are hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking. Playing outside with your kids encourages them to be more physically active while improving their social skills.
Research has even shown that kids who do not spend much time outside are more likely to develop psychiatric issues and social disorders. You have to consider accommodation, food, and means of transportation amongst other important factors. However, we have some amazing outdoor activities, most of which are suitable for families with children and even older adults.
Hunting is not for everyone but is one of those great outdoor activities for those who do. the practice of pursuing and capturing or killing wild animals. It has been a part of human existence ever since the first time human beings settled. Humans mostly practice hunting wildlife, mainly for the purpose of meat. However, some kill wild animals as a way of eliminating predators that threaten human life, to do away with pests that destroy crops, or for the purpose of trade.
Hunting started a long time ago, and has always been deeply rooted in human culture. Most countries encourage hunting and have made it a necessary component. Hunting is even more so encouraged when it is a means of pest control. Or when it is meant to maintain a healthy group of wildlife. However, hunting is prohibited, and even more so if it is done in excess. Excessive hunting can result in the complete extinction of many animals. In modern times, hunting is no longer primarily done for the purpose of food, but it has still remained a huge part of human culture.
Methods Of Hunting:
There are several different methods that are used in hunting, some of which include the following:
- Baiting: This is where the hunter uses scents, bait, or lures the wild animal to his or her trap.
- Beagles are used to hunt rabbits and even foxes.
- You can also scare animals into the killing zone by beating sticks.
- Blind hunting: Also known as stand hunting is where the hunter waits for the wild animal to come out from its hideout, ready to kill it.
- You can also use animal noises to attract your target animal.
- Camouflaging. This is where you blend with the environment in such a way that the predator will not realize. For instance, if you are hunting in the forest or the bush, you can cover yourself with leaves, in a way that the prey will show up itself without knowing there is a trap.
- Dogs are also used in retrieving or pursuing prey or a target.
- Flushing. This is another method of hunting where you scare the prey from its hideout to a clear place where you can clearly aim at it without missing.
- There is a type of full-body gear known as the ghillie suit. This ghillie suit is a suit that you can put on to blend with your environment naturally.
- The use of binoculars in locating animals is known as glassing. This is another method that hunters use for hunting.
- There is also internet hunting. Internet hunting entails hunting from the internet, using guns that are controlled remotely.
- Persistent Hunting: This method of hunting requires the hunter to pursue the prey until it becomes exhausted.
- Shooting is also another method of hunting where you aim at, and shoot the animal in the target.
- Trapping: A technique where after locating the area that the prey is in. You would then set traps to capture it more easily.
- Stalking: This method is used in hunting and involves the hunter and the prey. Wheras the hunter walks quietly in search of an individual animal.
- Most animals also move in accordance with the location of the moon. This method was the most effective for many hunters in the past because they knew when to capture their desired animal.
Advantages Of Hunting:
- Hunting helps to keep control over the natural population of wildlife. Deer hunting is the most common type of hunting because a deer causes destruction over a short period. They eat a wide variety of plant species, adding up to 700 or more. Furthermore, deer also move in communities and other areas in search of security and food. They cause too much damage which can result in using thousands of dollars for repair. Therefore, hunting there is a way of controlling the population of wildlife.
- It improves an individual’s knowledge of nature. Most successful hunters have knowledge about many outdoor activities, and this is what it means to understand Mother Nature. If you are familiar with an animal’s habit, hunting will be the perfect outdoor activity for you.
- It improves an individual’s personal exercise. This is because when you are hunting, you are required to climb trees, run after animals, and sometimes endure tough conditions. This is a great way to exercise and keep fit, especially since there are limited diet options when hunting.
- It teaches an individual on various survival techniques. Hunters are sometimes forced to spend nights in forests in order to accomplish their mission. While on this task, they are forced to look for the best ways of survival. This is because of the hunters need to be energetic and well-rested when they want to go hunting. The amount of time it takes to hunt an animal is never exactly known. This is why most hunters carry water and other non-perishable foods for their hunting trip.
Disadvantages Of Hunting:
- Hunting can cause animals to suffer. It is advantageous when the hunter aims at the prey, gets a clear shot, and kills the animal instantly with one shot. However, if the hunter misses the right shot and ends up injuring the animal, the animal could suffer.
- Reduces the population of animals. Animals make a country attractive and attract more tourists to the country. However, hunting can endanger some animal species that are considered quite important to some countries. A good example of this would be the Bald Eagle And America. Many species have been put to extinction because of hunting practices.
Fishing is one of the most popular outdoor activities, which entails the catching of fish in small and large water bodies. In addition to that, there are different fishing techniques, which are used in catching fish, some of which include:
- Netting: This is where a fishnet is used in catching fish. These nets are woven in a structure, resembling a grid. Furthermore, other people use the term “fish traps” to refer to fishing nets.
- Hand Gathering: this is the easiest method of fishing, as it requires an individual to catch the fish by hand, and is as easy as digging for crabs. Shellfish are hand-gathered using a rake and passed through a sieve to select the ones that can be sold in the market. Consequently, shellfish are best caught by diving, and diving is also the best fishing practice for catching oysters.
- Trapping: fish traps are common among the fishing techniques, which are frequently used. Most fishing traps consist of a frame and thick wire, usually in the shape of a heart. There are mesh wraps around the frame, which when the fish swims through this opening, it is trapped and cannot get out because the mesh becomes narrow and goes to its original form.
- Spearfishing: this is the technique that has been used for the longest time. Many people spearfished even using long sticks, which were sharpened at the end. It was mostly done using free diving where the angler dives into the water body, locates the target fish, and throws the spear at it.
There are many fishing industries, which are involved, in taking, culturing, preserving, storing, transporting, and selling fish and its products. The aim of these industries is to sell fish and all its products to the human population for consumption purposes. In addition to that, other people also prefer using these fish products in raw material and industrial sectors. There are three sectors, referred to as the principal industry sectors, which include the following;
- Commercial sectors: This consists of individuals and companies, which are linked with the catching of wild fish and then transform those resources, into products, which are ready for sale.
- Recreational sectors: This sector consists of enterprises and individuals who rear fish for recreational purposes and the products that they get from this activity are not meant for sale.
- Traditional Sector: This is a fishing sector, which comprises of enterprises and individuals, who rear fish and the end products are derived according to one’s traditional practices.
Benefits Of Fishing:
There are many benefits of fishing, including the health benefits of fishing. This is the perfect outdoor activity and hobby, which provides an individual with a great way of improving physical and mental well-being.
- Fishing helps you bond with your family. It is a skill, which is passed from generation to generation. Usually with the grandparents taking their grandkids out for fishing. The younger ones are usually taught how to hook a worm and different techniques of catching fish. When you spend too much time with your family, you feel safe, and you feel mentally, physically, and emotionally well. This makes fishing the best outdoor activity to do with your family members.
- Fishing engages your whole body. This is so because when you want to catch a fish, you will engage your whole body; your shoulders, arm, knees, back, legs, and core altogether. This improves your body posture and makes you physically fit for the activity.
- Your immune system gets a boost when you are out fishing. This is because fishing is generally done when the sun is out. (Meaning in the daytime). and sitting out in the sun provides your whole body with vitamin D.
- Increases self-reliance. A lot of the time, we are given everything we want. This is especially true with the advancement of technology. However, with fishing, you have to master some skills. The better you get mastering these various skills, the more your skills improve, and the easier it gets.
- Promotes relaxation. You can embark on this outdoor activity to meditate and relax after long hours spent in the sun trying to catch fish. Fully engaging in this activity helps in lowering blood pressure and reduces levels of anxiety.
- Improves patience. At times, we get impatient, especially when things do not go as we had planned. This is different from fishing because when you are out there in the sun. It is not guaranteed that you will catch fish immediately. You have to be patient, and it may even take days to become successful in this activity.
- Fishing also encourages you to travel more because, after a busy week at work, you can finally take the weekends out of town, relax in your beach house and go fishing. Traveling expands your horizons and makes life more worthy because you have the chance of tasting different kinds of foods, learn different languages and cultures, and learn new fishing techniques.
- Fishing improves your body balance. This is so because when you catch a huge fish, let’s say a catfish, you will require balance to load it in your boat without capsizing.
- Fishing brings about a closer connection with Mother Nature, and you learn to appreciate nature more. You are also exposed to direct sunlight, clean and fresh water, along with fresh air. All of these factors have a ton of health benefits to your body.
Advantages of Fishing Industries:
- Increased economic development in a country, which trades in fish. This is because they are able to sell the fish and its products to another country, and can gain value or money in exchange.
- Creates employment opportunities especially to people who want to pursue fishing courses. For instance, you can employ and sign a contract with a fisherman who lives near a water body.
- They also help in monitoring the economic systems where no bad species are introduced to water. This is because when hostile species are introduces to water bodies, the aquatic lives can be destroyed.
- Areas with good fishing are at the advantage of experiencing good human health, a stable economy, and a sustainable environment.
Disadvantages of Fishing Industries
- Overfishing leads to the extinction of certain species of fish hence endangering the lives of fish. This can, in turn, affect the economy negatively. For these reasons, it is important that overfishing is prevented.
- the aquatic life can be endangered if toxic substances are introduced to the water, or traps are placed the wrong way. This can also have a negative impact on the landform.
- The presence of many boats near the waterbody brings about congestion, and this can, in turn, lead to a decrease in the number of fish.
Camping is another one of the most popular outdoor activities, which involves staying away from home for a night or nights, in a tent, or inside a vehicle. There are many beautiful places in the world where you can camp but campers look for the sites with beautiful sceneries for camping. Camping has become diverse and is the main key part of many youth organizations such as scouting. There are also many different forms of camping. We have an article explaining camping as well HERE
- Car Camping: this is where an individual or a group of people pack their camping bags, and some essential things, go to a different and new location and stay there for a night or many nights.
- Canoe Camping: this involves the combination of camping and canoeing, both done at the same time. Canoe campers should carry enough supply to last them for the intended days of camping and canoeing.
- Backpacking: this is where campers carry their supply on their backpacks as they hike for more than a day.
Skills and Safety for Camping:
- Survival Skills: Any camper requires survival skills to be able to enjoy his or her camping activity. For instance, you need to know how to adapt to weather changes without fear when you are on your camping trip. When you possess these skills, you can have peace of mind. This could also make a difference between life and death if camping somewhere dangerous.
- First Aid Skills: This is the major and most important skill that any camper should have. This is because when you are out camping, you can injure yourself at any time, and possessing first aid skills helps keep you safe and healthy until the end of the camping trip when you can receive the necessary treatment.
- Navigation skills: Help you find and trace a path that allows you to reach the desired destination and exit too. It is also important that you become familiar with a compass. This can help you to accurately follow any given direction from where you are so that you do not get lost.
- Leave no trace: There are people who do not like it when their privacy is invaded. Some of these people live in forests where you intend to park. Ensure that you leave no trace when camping to avoid being in trouble with forest dwellers.
- There are different camping equipment that any camper should have when he or she is thinking of spending one or more nights in a desired camping site. Some of the camping equipment include;
- A durable backpack: The backpack should be strong and spacious to accommodate all your camping needs and will last you for the desired amount of days. This is suitable especially for people who do not come with their vehicles for camping.
- Clothing and footwear: The clothing and footwear essentials should be strong, durable, and appropriate for any weather conditions.
- You should also carry adequate food and water: It is important to carry food in excess because you never know what might happen. The weather conditions might force you to extend your stay unwillingly, and you need to keep strong and active and be ready for whatever happens.
- Sleeping bag or a foam pad: Most people prefer a sleeping bag because it is convenient and easy to fold when you are leaving. In addition to that, it prevents small living organisms from crawling on you at night.
- Flashlight: It is important to carry a spotlight with you, just in case you reach your camping destination late. It illuminates the way and prevents you from stepping on dangerous animals, and hurting yourself in the dark.
- Survival gear: Survival gear consists of tools and other medical supplies, preparing you for first aid and any other emergencies that may come about. Your survival kit should contain supplies, which keep the victim warm, signal rescuers, meet basic first aid needs, and assist in locating your way back.
Advantages of Camping:
There are various health, social, physical, and mental benefits of camping. Some people decide to take on a camping trip because they are tired of seeing the same old things where they live. It is important to focus on this outdoor activity without any form of distractions. Some of the advantages of camping include the following;
- Fresh air: the cities are full of different vehicles, all of which produce smoke to the environment, hence causing pollution. However, this is different from camping because when you spend more time in areas with lots of trees, you tend to breathe in the fresh air and take in more oxygen.
- Improved Mood: Going to a different location improves your mood and keeps you happy all the time, especially with the existence of a beautifying nature.
- Improves Socialization: Imagine a scenario where you visit a camping site and find other campers there too. You will find it amazing talking to them and engaging in different interesting activities with them. Camping alone is fun, but bringing your friends along is even amazing.
- Reduced Stress: camping helps you learn how to manage stress. Stress is known to affect the body and a person’s overall health negatively. It is important that you learn how to manage stress, to lead a healthy life.
- New adventures: you also get the chance to experience new challenges when you are camping. When you are with your friends, you can come up with creative ideas for games, and make your stay worthwhile.
- Exercise: Camping is also a form of exercise. You spend a lot of time fixing your tent and collecting firewood, and this is a good form of exercise. Just by fixing that tent, you are burning more calories than you could have when you are sitting in the office from 8a to 5 pm.
- Good sleep: when you have perfect and decent camping gears, you will enjoy sleeping peacefully at night. A night of good sleep has an effect on how your body functions and can help you stay alert by improving your cardiovascular health.
Disadvantages of Camping:
- Camping tends to be uncomfortable for the first few times, especially if you do not know the tricks of making it fun.
- Disconnects you from your family and friends when you are on your camping trip. Most camping sites have poor network coverage and you cannot communicate effectively with your loved ones.
Hiking is one of the most popular outdoor activities, which involves long walks on footpaths, or trails in the countryside. The world has many beautiful places well suited for this activity. You can create some awesome memories out of any hiking spot. This is a sport on its own and a perfect exercise for anyone.
Just like any other form of outdoor activity, you require some equipment and gear to keep you comfortable throughout the entire activity. Hikers, who hike for a day only, usually carry food, water, a map, and a rainproof gear. This is all they need for the day because they know that at the end of it all, they will go back home.
- Hiking Boots: this is a necessity when you are planning to go hiking. This is essential for walking on mountains and acts as a protection from rough trails while increasing your stability.
- Shelter: it is important that you carry your shelter with you when hiking. This can be a plastic tube tent or a trash bag. This enables you to have a peaceful and amazing sleep at night.
- Sunglasses and Sunscreen: sunglasses protect your eyes from direct sunlight. Whereas sunscreen protects your body from unnecessary sunburns.
- Extra food: carrying extra food is important because you might end up in destinations where you did not intend to. This can cause you to run out of supply.
- First aid kit: most outdoor activities require an individual to have a first aid kit with him, just in case an emergency erupts.
- Extra Clothing: try to carry extra clothing just in case your clothes get dirty or torn.
Advantages of Hiking:
- Hiking helps to clear the mind and reduce stress levels. This is because when you embark on a hiking journey, you will be thinking about the nature around you, instead of being in your head. All you will be worried about is your destination and enjoy the beautiful nature. In addition to that, we tend to live busy lives. Working from 9 am to 5 pm for the whole week and resting for just two days. Hiking helps in clearing your mind while preparing you for a busy week ahead.
- Connects us without friends and family: With the rise in technology, we tend to lose ourselves socializing over the internet and not in person. Hiking brings people together because you will share your hobbies, dreams, and ideas with the other person without any distractions. This also improves relationships.
- Hiking makes us happy by removing negative thoughts that keep crossing our minds.
- Reduces anxiety and depression: Since it is associated with reducing stress, hiking also reduces the level of anxiety and depression in an individual. Outdoor activities are natural stress relievers and mood boosters.
- Increases our generosity: Hiking increases your generosity in that you learn to share with other people whatever you have. You might even be able to trade what you have with what you do not have with the other party.
- You learn to live in the moment when you are out hiking with your friends and family.
- Memory improvement: studies have also shown that people who reconnect with the outside environment have increased memory.
- Hiking is also a form of exercise, which requires the involvement of the full body. Your legs, arms, and core are all in motion. As you learn to hike further, you can lose weight and maintain a healthy and physically fit body.
Disadvantages of Hiking:
- Your hiking experience can be hurt by harsh weather conditions. For instance, when it rains a day or two before your hiking day, the environment may not be conducive for outdoor activity at that particular time.
- It can be dangerous to hike in places with treacherous trails as there is a possibility of tripping or slipping. This is dangerous because you can end up harming yourself. In turn, instead of enjoying a peaceful environment, you might be instead forced to get medical attention.
- Since hiking is an exercise, you might experience soreness and muscle pain due to walking long distances.
- People who are allergic to high altitudes might experience fatigue and nausea. All of which can make the whole hiking experience boring.
Any of these 4 awesome outdoor activities can become regular outdoor activities for just you, or you and your family! Also, make sure you know the laws of where you live for whichever outdoor activities you choose to engage in. So, what do you think of these 4 awesome outdoor activities? Will you be or are you already regularly doing one of these four activities or more? Did you learn something you didn’t know before? Let us know what you think!